created for its trade deadline acquisition in

Wszelkie dyskusje dotyczące działania portalu

created for its trade deadline acquisition in

Postprzez elaine95 » 14 sty 2019, 03:40

LOS ANGELES (AP) — This was a true fall classic for Eduardo Nunez.The Boston third baseman became a one-man blooper reel when he flipped Bob Gibson Jersey , tripped, tumbled and sprawled Friday night in Game 3 of the World Series.“He was all over the place, huh?” Red Sox manager Alex Cora said.All that, and he didn’t even enter until the 10th inning.Nunez wound up hitting the dirt — and the seats — at Dodger Stadium in the longest Series game ever, a 3-2 win in 18 innings by Los Angeles that cut Boston’s edge to 2-1.“A little sore today, but I’ll be fine tomorrow,” Nunez said.In a crazy game with lots of late twists and turns, no one better exemplified that than Nunez.His follies began in the Boston 13th when, with Nunez batting, Brock Holt took off from first on a pitch that bounced. Catcher Austin Barnes scrambled to retrieve the ball in the batter’s box, burrowed into Nunez’s legs and spun him hard onto his back .“When the catcher ran over him, he felt he was in bad shape,” Cora said. “But like I told him, he’s like http://www.stlouiscardinalsteamshop.com/authentic-willie-mcgee-jersey , ‘I’m not coming out.’ I said, ‘Well, you can’t come out. We have no more players.'”Instead, Nunez was just getting warmed up.He steadied himself and hit a tapper that reliever Scott Alexander fielded on the right side. Nunez made a dive into first base and jarred himself as Alexander’s throw went wild, scoring Holt with the go-ahead run .In the bottom half, Max Muncy was on first with one out when Cody Bellinger hit a foul popup near the third-base seats. The overshifted Nunez went a long way to make the catch, but backed into the low wall and flipped into the stands .Nunez somehow emerged from the seats with a smile.“I was just laughing because everything happened in the wrong time. Unbelievable,” he said. “Any more players this happens every time?”Muncy moved to second on the play, and scored to make it 2-all when second baseman Ian Kinsler threw away Yasiel Puig’s grounder.Nunez wasn’t quite finished, either.In the 16th, he cut across the diamond for Puig’s popup. He caught the ball — and a few more bruises, probably — when he tripped and did a face-first pratfall on the mound .Once again, he stayed in the game.“We no have any more players, so I no have choice. I have to be playing Mike Matheny Jersey ,” he said, laughing.Cora appreciated Nunez’s determination. The 31-year-old from the Dominican Republic hit a three-run homer in the opener .“It was a tough one for him, but he gave us a great effort. He actually played a good game. He was limping all over the place,” he said.“It is what it is. There’s a lot of guys a little banged up, but they grind it out,” he said. It took Mike Shildt only 38 games to convince the St. Louis Cardinals to remove the interim from his title as the team’s manager.Hours after the club announced Tuesday that it signed Shildt through the 2020 season, St. Louis showed why he canceled its intentions of a highly publicized offseason search for a skipper to replace Mike Matheny.With Jose Martinez and Tyler O’Neill slamming two-run homers to complement seven good innings from rookie Jack Flaherty, the Cardinals improved to 27-12 under Shildt with a 5-2 victory over the Pittsburgh Pirates to solidify their position atop the National League wild-card standings.Article continues below ...St. Louis (74-58) will attempt to win its 10th straight series Wednesday night when it plays the middle game of its set with Pittsburgh.“We just felt like we could not do better,” Cardinals president of baseball operations John Mozeliak said. “Clearly the relationship he has with our players and coaching staff and front office and ownership, it just made this a very seamless decision. We didn’t agonize too much over it because we have a lot of confidence in him.”As they should. Shildt has played a more aggressive brand of baseball than Matheny preferred, unafraid to start runners regardless of the hitter or runner. He’s also helped revamp the bullpen, introducing young arms such as Dakota Hudson and Daniel Poncedeleon to high-leverage situations and also adding Opening Day starter Carlos Martinez to the mix last week.The effects could be obvious if St. Louis can continue this run and qualify for the playoffs. In Hudson and Martinez, it has two power arms who could play the Andrew Miller role that Cleveland manager Terry Francona created for its trade deadline acquisition in 2016, helping the Indians come within a win of breaking their now 70-year World Series drought.“Everybody’s doing their job http://www.stlouiscardinalsteamshop.com/authentic-red-schoendienst-jersey , just having so much fun and competing,” Flaherty said.Miles Mikolas (13-3, 2.94) takes the mound for the Cardinals after his worst start of the year, allowing five runs (four earned) and 12 hits in 4 2/3 innings Friday night of a 7-5 win at Colorado. Mikolas gave up all his runs in the fifth inning, getting the hook one out shy of qualifying for his sixth straight win.The All-Star right-hander has faced the Pirates (64-68) three times this year, going 0-1 with a pair of no-decisions. He’s 1-1 in five career games with a 2.91 ERA.Opposing Mikolas is right-hander Trevor Williams (10-9, 3.44), who’s enjoying the best season of his three-year career. Williams is coming off a no-decision Aug. 22 in a 2-1 loss to Atlanta, pitching six innings and allowing only one run off two hits and two walks with four strikeouts.Williams has been outstanding in his last seven starts, permitting four runs over 42 innings, although he’s only 3-2 in that span. But he’s struggled mightily in 10 career games against St. Louis, posting a 2-4 mark with a 6.93 ERA and giving up a whopping 56 hits in only 37 2/3 innings.
elaine95

Powrót do Portal